[MPlayer-dev-eng] Patch: Jack audio output

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Oct 21 15:42:04 CEST 2004

Reimar Döffinger wrote:

...snip

>Here you use spaces instead of tabs for intendation... that makes the
>code look bad with a different tabsize...

OK, here I have resubmitted my patch with those spaces corrected for tabs.

Also I have tweaked the volume control code so that it works for
multi-channel output (ie 4 or 6 channels).  I have to make an assumption
about channel ordering that it is likely to be: front pair, rear pair,
center and sub.  I am not sure how much of an assumption this is in
practice, but it at least works now for the general case of surround
sound on DVD's whereas before it would only control the front speakers
and leave everything else at full volume.  It should be no different for
the 2 channel case.  I would therefore claim that it is "better" than it
was before.

Finally, I removed a redundant "Reset" from the unit path, which as a
side effect seems to have fixed a intermittent crash on exiting mplayer
(I suspect a race condition in the bio2jack library, but I can't quite
see it).  So this is also a good fix.

I doubt that we are going to get too many testers on this library, but
if no one objects then can we at least move to having these changes
committed please?

I am happy to talk anyone through setting up Jack on their machine.
[It's quite easy and it's basically a high quality, low latency audio
mixer.  It's main advantage over other mixers is that ability to plug in
effects to the signal path, eg I am correcting for distortion cased by
speakers and room on a high end audio system)

Just a small note that you need the latest cvs of bio2jack to make this
work.  However, I have spoken to the bio2jack author and there should be
a new release very shortly so I see no real problem here.

Please apply to CVS

Ed W