[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer in a B&O product (License)

Martin Jensen MRJ at bang-olufsen.dk
Fri Oct 1 08:10:43 CEST 2004

Hi Diego B.

Many thanks for your fast reply!

GNU GPL should not be a problem for us. The reason for me asking is that I
read some place that not all of MPlayer is GNU GPL and you confirmed that.
Its just that I these days one have to be careful about licences.

If I have any more questions about MPlayer can I send them to you? That
would be greatly appreciated!

Best ragard,

Martin Jensen
Audio Techology & Innovation
Bang & Olufsen
Peter Bangs Vej 15
DK-7600 Struer
Denmark

Phone  (+45) 96 84 47 79
Fax  (+45) 96 84 44 01
e-mail:  mrj at bang-olufsen.dk

Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>
29-09-2004 23:35

Martin Jensen <MRJ at bang-olufsen.dk>
cc
mplayer-dev-eng at mplayerhq.hu
Subject
Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer in a B&O product (License)

Martin Jensen writes:

> Bang & Olufsen (http://www.bang-olufsen.com) are currently working on a
> new product witch is planed to use a software DVD player on a Linux
> platform.

That's very nice to hear.

> We are at the moment looking a lot at MPlayer and therefore I would very

> much like to hear about licensing?
> Is all the code to MPlayer covered by the GNU General Public License v2?

See the Copyright file for details of which part of the code is
covered by which license.  It's mostly covered by the GNU General
Public License with some parts covered by the GNU Lesser General
Public License and a few small parts under different GPL compatible
licenses.  As a whole it is covered by the GNU General Public License.

You can have a look at the file yourself:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~main/Copyright

May I ask why you are inquiring about the license?  Is the GNU GPL a
problem for you?

One small note: Are you aware of the fact that MPlayer does not
support DVD menus?

Regards

Diego Biurrun