[MPlayer-dev-eng] Ps2 offer to Alex Beregszaszi

Nicolas Plourde nicolas.plourde at sympatico.ca
Wed May 26 04:27:09 CEST 2004

Ravn Gundersen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Im working on a project for a firm. We need to play some kind of divx
> from a linux based Ps2, mostly smaller files, without sound. I cannot
> go into details at this point.
> However, I have been able to get Mplayer running under linux on a ps2,
> BUT the framerate is crappy. I´ve tried PS2Reality (native ps2
> software based on mplayer) and there the fps is more than good enough.
> I know they use some modified code, but I haven´t been able to get it.
>
> We see that Alex B. have a Playstation 2 on his wish list, so here are
> our offer:
> A new Playstation 2 with Linux kit (40 gb hd, keyboard, mouse, linux
> dvd, crt adapter), in exchange for a playstation 2 optimized mplayer.
> And I hope this can help other people as well.

I was thinking about something like that a few weeks ago. My Idea  was
more to do a straight port to the PS2 since I do not have a Linux kit
and it would be more
useful anyway to use the PS2 has a media hub without the kit. I have
some experience with PS2 programming, any other mplayer developer with
access to a PS2 + tool chain willing to give it a shot?