[MPlayer-dev-eng] Flaming NUT

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri May 7 01:36:47 CEST 2004

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 11:26:49PM +0300, Jan Knutar wrote:

> > But does the container need to know anything about them? IMO not. The
> > streaming server app can take care of it.
>
> Ah, you mean drop frames before muxing into NUT, I see.
>
> I guess it's not really significant, whether to design it as
> [streams] -> {[muxer] -> [streaming server]} -> [user]
> or
> [streams] -> {[streaming server] -> [muxer] } -> [user]
>
> Come to think of it, I can't see why you'd want to make information
> about 'safe' frame dropping and such into the muxer level.
>
> Once (if) it's completed, I guess you need new containers and such for
> those that want to stream "peelable" vorbis audio and some new
> "peelable" video codec, or to just "peel" before muxing.

IMO a special container isn't even needed. If the streaming server is
only dealing with one codec (this is the usual case anyway) it can
just parse the codec headers to see which frames are droppable. If
not, you could just store nut info packets or use any site-specific
trick you like to flag droppable packets, even make a list of them in
a separate (text or binary) file alongside the nut file.

Rich