[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: ogm subtitles are a little weird

Andriy N. Gritsenko andrej at lucky.net
Mon Mar 29 10:06:29 CEST 2004

    Hi, D Richard Felker III!

Sometime (on Saturday, March 27 at 17:12) I've received something...
>On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 01:27:20PM +0200, Andriy N. Gritsenko wrote:

>> >1. I must now run mplayer _manually_ from command line to see subtitles.
>> >Nor -sid nor -slang never worked. I can't use -sid X since I never know
>> >what is first text substream, it may be 2,3 or even 4, so I can't find
>> >out it before I play and then I have to manually run mplayer. I can't use
>> >-slang either since ogm format may define language only in comment and
>> >that is optional. It's too weird for me since I used to play video by
>> >just pushing 'Enter' from Midnight Commander or by clicking on it from
>> >gui filebrowser. All old versions of MPlayer played it well and now it
>> >want me do two manual operations to play each file. Any other format
>> >except ogm never want me do such weird thing.

>>     I've found a solution for this myself. I see '-sid 0' has no sense
>> because text stream never could be first stream in .ogm file. So let's

>Why could it never be the first??

Because first stream is always video stream, it's obvious. And anyway if
there will be any dumb man who will put text stream as ogm stream 0 (I
think, manually, eh?) then anyway with -sid 0 you will have that text
stream subs. It may seem a little tricky but it'll work and it's only
solution for that damn ogm subtitles! I never wanted to watch each file,
typing all parameters and file name in command line and even twice. I
understand, Unix was designed to don't have any human-friendly interface
and I have to do anything by typing without mistakes and all shells and
graphics are perversion, but anyway I don't like that way anymore. ;)

    With best wishes.
    Andriy.