[MPlayer-dev-eng] KiSS of copyright

Christof Buergi christof at buergi.lugs.ch
Sat Mar 27 21:14:35 CET 2004

Ivan Kalvachev sagte:
> BTW KiSS discusion have moved to mplayer-legal (developers only)
> All developers that have not subscribed there, please do.

Yesyes, I know. I actually didn't want to stay in the discussion that
long. Just point out some basic mistakes some of the people here seem
to make.

Don't get me wrong, please. I don't do this because I like to humilate
you. I do this because someone starting a lawsuit based upon wrong
ideas how the law looks like would hurt this project a lot. And it
could turn out to be a PR disaster for the whole community.

> I think that Christof is tring to explain, that
> if KiSS don't accept the GPL license, we may bring to trail
> not only KiSS Technology, but also all its costumers, that
> use the contaminated firmware.

Oh my...

I didn't even think of that, but yes, you're right. The customers may,
of course, redirect the blame to KiSS, so they had to pay in the end.

However, to sue the customers, you have to claim real damages. This
isn't that easy, I'm afraid.

> I could say that this is a very good reason
> KiSS to replace all contaminated firmware.

That's true, of course. :-)

--
Say no to HTML in Mail and News!              / \