[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Should I write Voodoo Banshee VIDIX driver?

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Fri Mar 26 18:21:07 CET 2004

Hi Georgi Petrov,

on Fri, 26 Mar 2004 07:59:23 -0800 (PST) you wrote:

> Needless to say, the driver still doesn't work correctly. From about 4
> days I make no progress at all. When tdfx_vid is first called and then
> my vidix driver, no problem - it works. I'm sure that tdfx_vid
> initializes the card in some way that my driver doesn't. The problem is
> that IN THE MOMENT I write something to LEFTOVBUF, mplayer hangs. I
> don't understand it. Just the next line in the C code becomes
> unreachable. I know that this is caused by something I do improperly,
> but I just can't figure out what.
>
> I need to understand:
>
> 1) What's banshee_make_room and what doest it do?

It ensure that there's enouth space in the internal command queue.

> 2) When is banshee_idle used and when not?

I don't remember exactly but, it's expleined in the specs. You can also
look at the code :)

> 3) Should I setup something FIFO related or it's only for AGP access?

The external FIFO is not requiered.

> 4) Should I make something more, before setting LEFTOVBUF (it crashes on
> that line of code)?

Some bug in your code probably.

> 5) Why is all this SO HARD???

Well ...

	Albeu
--

Everything is controlled by a small evil group
to which, unfortunately, no one we know belongs.