[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: x11_common.c: it still doesn't work in fullscreen

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Mar 17 18:42:11 CET 2004

Greg Stark writes:
 > Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> writes:
 >
 > > Just please don't "reverse" revisions that are not the last ones
 > > again, it's a bad idea anyway as it creates a "hole" in the revision
 > > history.
 >
 > I don't know how it works with mplayer, but on other projects I've worked on
 > we never "removed" revisions even if it *was* the last one. Doing so removes
 > history information from the repository that really ought to be preserved even
 > if it doesn't cause problems, and it seems bound to cause problems.
 >
 > We always just did cvs "update -j newversion -j oldversion" then committed.
 > This means all the right things happen to anybody who has a checked out copy
 > of the old tree, namely they get told to update before committing. Also it
 > means there's a log of the patch being applied and reversed so people later
 > can see what happened.

I agree fully.  Having the information about what was bad and backed
out in the CVS history can be extremely useful.  IMHO the only
justified use of 'cvs admin -o' is to remove the latest revision of a
file if you committed some kind of embarassing goof and recommit an
improved version immediately thereafter.

But obviously 'cvs admin -o' is being abused and misused, so it might
be a good idea to completely refrain from using it.

Diego