[MPlayer-dev-eng] KiSS of copyright

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Wed Mar 17 14:18:42 CET 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, D Richard Felker III wrote:

>It's very simple. KiSS has committed a crime which makes them liable
>for millions of dollars (at least under US law, dunno about other
>countries). We can press charges/file civil suit, with then intention

In Finland/Denmark (wasn't KiSS from Denmark?) the sum would be quite
definitely smaller. They would need to pay for damages and possibly some
punishment amount. It's hard to show that infringing GPL actually caused
some monetary damages, and I don't think that there would be high
amount of money for punishing KiSS either. And of course one would need to
first show in court that they really stole code, it might be obvious for
us but maybe not for judge.

So, if there would be my code infringed, I'd be content with the end
result.

But Gabucino certainly should have talked first about the agreement with
all developers before agreeing to it. (Although this isn't my business,
there hardly was any of my code involved).