[MPlayer-dev-eng] Recommend error for bad dimensions

Adam Rice adamrice at ntlworld.com
Tue Mar 2 18:28:05 CET 2004

Quoting D Richard Felker III (dalias at aerifal.cx):
> Would anyone object if I modify ve_lavc's config to FAIL by default if
> dimensions are not multiples of 16? There would be an option to
> override ("forcebadsize" maybe?) but IMO too many newbies refuse to
> RTFM and generate poor encodes (which some players won't even play) by
> choosing bad dimensions.

Erm... the docs recommend to use cropdetect, and cropdetect helpfully prints
out a commandline fragment with the exact dimensions of the video. If mencoder
then choked on the commandline it just suggested, it wouldn't exactly inspire
confidence, now, would it? Besides, it seems a little absurd to require users
to do mental arithmetic when they're sat in front of a $1000 adding machine.

I propose that the problem lies not in lavc, but in cropdetect. I think
cropdetect should be modified to report the exact dimensions of the useful
video, but suggest dimensions that are rounded to multiples of 16 (or perhaps
multiples of 8 when the video < 400 pixels wide or so).

Adam

--
Adam Rice -- adamrice at ntlworld.com -- Blackburn, Lancashire, England