[MPlayer-dev-eng] new results & bugs report

Romain Dolbeau dolbeau at irisa.fr
Thu Jun 17 08:43:05 CEST 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:

> Nope, it will pick misaligned dimensions. I don't understand how this
> is so hard. There are basically three aspect ratios:, 4:3, 16:9, and
> 64:27. The corresponding resolutions are 640x480, 640x352, and
> 640x272. You can visually inspect your movie to see which one it is,
> then pick the right scaling. NO ONE will notice if the aspect is off
> by 1-2% due to the cropping you used!

At low bitrates, visual quality is higher if you pick a slightly
lower resolution, like 576 or even 512. Also, mplayer is *too*
smart : if the resolution doesn't match the AR, then it will
(properly) store the AR i nthe file, and scale it at display
time - which can be a problem a low-end hardware.

Anyway, now that I know the problem exist, I'll use multiple-of-16
resolutions :-)

--
Romain Dolbeau