[MPlayer-dev-eng] new results & bugs report

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jun 17 07:51:24 CEST 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 09:39:35PM -0700, rcooley wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:43:53 +0200
> Romain Dolbeau <dolbeau at irisa.fr> wrote:
>

> > I always use autoaspect, but I also compute "by hand" an
> > output resolution that gives the "proper" AR - i.e. that won't
> > need scaling at playback time.
>
> Why not just let 'scale' calculate that for you?

Nope, it will pick misaligned dimensions. I don't understand how this
is so hard. There are basically three aspect ratios:, 4:3, 16:9, and
64:27. The corresponding resolutions are 640x480, 640x352, and
640x272. You can visually inspect your movie to see which one it is,
then pick the right scaling. NO ONE will notice if the aspect is off
by 1-2% due to the cropping you used!

Rich