[MPlayer-dev-eng] [LONG] PSNR comparison, new source and results

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Jun 16 16:08:58 CEST 2004

Hi

On Wednesday 16 June 2004 15:53, Jan Knutar wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 June 2004 12:18, Romain Dolbeau wrote:
> > Jan Knutar wrote:
> >
> > qpel not only raise the execution time by over 63% on
> > average, it also decrease the PSNR in all case. trell
> > isn't anywhere as expensive, and it does give you a
> > nice improvement all the time. *dia=-2 is a tiny bit
> > better and not much more expensive tha *dia=1.
>
> I did a comparison of qpel at different bitrates, with very basic
> options. Source material is the trailer for "Kate & Leopold", from the
> PAL DVD. It's full screen 4:3, and I encode it unscaled.
>
> I used mbd=2:v4mv, 2 pass encoding with different bitrates, with and
> without qpel.
>
> The findings:
>
> bitrate < ~750:	qpel decreases psnr
> ~ 750 < bitrate < 2000:	qpel increases psnr
> 2000 < bitrate:	qpel decreases psnr
>
> Perhaps more interesting is the same expressed in bits per pixel instead
> of bitrate, like this:
>
> bpp < ~ 0.075		qpel decreases psnr
> ~ 0.075 < bpp < .20	qpel increases psnr
> .20 < qpel	qpel decreases psnr
>

> What surprised me was that qpel at high bitrates actually decrease PSNR.
one possible explanation is that at a bitrate similar to the source bitrate we
are really trying to store the mpeg2 compression artefacts and mpeg4-hpel is
better then mpeg4-qpel at storing mpeg2-hpel
it would be interresting to see if the psnr decrease at high bitrates exists
for uncompressed sources too ...

[...]
--
Michael
level[i]= get_vlc(); i+=get_vlc();		(violates patent EP0266049)