[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Re: will there be further development formatroxg450 cards?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jun 4 17:45:29 CEST 2004

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:48:17AM +0200, justin case wrote:
> > > after a few days of researching the topic i figured, that only the g400
> has
> > > proper tv-out support and that there is no way to get around the
> > > unaccelerated fb1 with the 450. i'd be happy if you'd correct me on this
> one
> > > ;)
> >
> > The way you get around it is the same as on the g400: don't use it!
> > Instead use the accelerated fb0 and map it to the tv.
>
> how? - following this guide
> (http://www.bglug.ca/matrox_tvout/g450_tvout_howto.html) i get a picture on
> fb1 and it looks terrible :(
> i googled a lot and found noone to have a better solution. if there is any,
> please point me to it.

DO NOT USE FB1!!!!!! DON'T EVEN LOAD THE MODULE FOR IT!

Use matroxset to put head 1 in monitor mode, head 2 in tv mode, and
map the same framebuffer (fb0) to both heads!!

matroxset -f /dev/fb0 -o 1 2     # Setup second head as tv mode (NTSC)
matroxset -f /dev/fb0 -m 3       # Mirror output to both heads.

Change the 2 to a 1 if you need PAL. Change the 3 to a 1 for head 1
only, or 2 for head 2 only.

> > > what i actually read was that matrox had once given out specs for the
> g400
> > > and so tv-out became possible with that card, but the g450 works a bit
> > > different internally and matrox all of a sudden refused to help with
> specs
> > > for that card.
> >
> > This is basically true but I don't think it matters for our particular
> > situation. However I've never used a g450 so I can't be sure.
>
> sorry, i don't get your point. why shouldn't it matter, if the g450 can't do
> proper tv-out?

It can, afaik!!

> > > my question was about further development so i want to ask the
> developers
> > > not the users.
> >
> > Huh?
>
> well, as i wrote: i found the g450 to be unusuable at this point for the

No, it's not at all unusual. We just have a PEBCAK error here...

Rich