[MPlayer-dev-eng] -Wall

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jun 4 07:21:17 CEST 2004

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 02:40:23AM +0100, J. Grant wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed -Wall was not on the generated cc flags.  I tested with it on
> and I can see there are lots of warnings.  Is there a reason warnings
> are not being displayed atm?  Looking through the warnings text there
> are many potential issues the compiler is warning out, here are a few
> examples:
>
> motion_est.c:178: warning: `uvdxy' might be used uninitialized in this
> function

No, it's not used uninitialized, but the compiler is stupid and thinks
it is. This is a good reason NOT to have -Wall...

> outputpin.c: In function `CEnumMediaTypesCreate':
> outputpin.c:116: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
> outputpin.c:117: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type

Hacks to do DShow in C rather than C++, probably ok.

> m_option.c: In function `parse_obj_settings_list':
> m_option.c:1400: warning: unknown conversion type character `$' in format

This code looks bad. It's using some glibc extension I think, which
will crash on other systems.

> Many of them are obvious, so I can submit a patch to revise that code if
> that would be supported.  I think having -Wall on the default compiler
> flags would be best IMHO.

Not entirely opposed, but I disagree. It prints so much useless spam
that it's hard to see real bugs.

Rich