[MPlayer-dev-eng] [REQUEST] DivX Pro 5.2 DLL (divxdec.ax) in MPlayer?

attila attila at kinali.ch
Thu Jul 22 08:23:00 CEST 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 06:30:40PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> Why do you think using this non-free codec as _default_ would be a
> good idea?  Do you have any samples where DivX Pro gives better
> results than MPlayer?  If so, upload them so we can fix the bugs.

A little clarification here:

The Divx codecs produce under Windows better image quality than
libavc (or worse, depending on how you see it) because they
always apply some filters (at least a sharpening, maybe more)
_even_ if you disable this. Thus the image difference on windows.

However, if there would be really a difference in the decoding
of the mpeg4 stream (yes, divx5.x is nothing else) then this would
imedialty accumulate and make the movie unwatchable.

I strongly oppose on using divx codecs instead of lavc as it is not
better but even worse (as in slower, not so error resilent etc pp)

			Attila Kinali