[MPlayer-dev-eng] [REQUEST] DivX Pro 5.2 DLL (divxdec.ax) in MPlayer?

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Jul 21 18:30:40 CEST 2004

ANDREAS SETTERLIND writes:

> That is, would it please be possible for you to code support into your
> DLL-loader for divxdec.ax from the DivX/DivX Pro 5.2 distro to use as the
> primary (or optional via codec.conf) decode codec for FourCC "DIV5" and "div5"
> (and of course only those two FourCC)?
>
> Is you guys accept this suggestion and challenge then MPlayer would be fully
> DivX 5.0/5.1/5.2 compatible, thus get the maximum quality possible when
> decoding the latest DivX Pro 5.x encodes. If this is not feasible it would be
> great if you please give a technical explanation on why?

We already have a decoder that offers better speed and quality, it's
called libavcodec and its maintainer is an MPlayer developer.  Oh, and
it is available as free software.

Why do you think using this non-free codec as _default_ would be a
good idea?  Do you have any samples where DivX Pro gives better
results than MPlayer?  If so, upload them so we can fix the bugs.

Diego