[MPlayer-dev-eng] Indentation changes in patches

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Mon Jul 12 14:38:02 CEST 2004

Hi

On Monday 12 July 2004 13:10, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > OLD code:
> > dothis()
> > this = that;
> > goaway( TRUE );
> >
> > NEW code:
> > if ( we_are_not_completely_insane() )
> > {
> >   dothis()
> >   this = that;
> >   goaway( TRUE );
> > }
>
> This should be two patches, as otherwise if I want to know if the code
> inside the if is the same as the original one, I will have to compare
> character per character.
maybe theres a solution which would allow to commit whitespace changes in
functional patches but still display them separated on cvslog
by simply changing the script which generates the diff which is posted,
actually i had this idea a long time ago but generating diffs which hide
whitespace changes is risky as mistakes which destroy correct indention would
be missed
a possible solution would be to generate 2 diffs for each commit, one with
whitespace change the other without, and if they are near identical ==
similar size or so then only post the one with whitespace changes included
otherwise post both in one message

[...]
--
Michael
level[i]= get_vlc(); i+=get_vlc();		(violates patent EP0266049)