[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Windows GUI MPlayer name change

Adam Rice adamrice at ntlworld.com
Sun Jan 25 20:33:03 CET 2004

Quoting Joey Parrish (joey at nicewarrior.org):
>   2) Add another optional GUI with a better(more portable) design.  This
>      sucks because we either a) have to add a second set of hooks into
>      mplayer.c, which is a new nasty hack ontop of an old nasty hack, or
>      b) we have to force the new GUI to use the old GUI hooks.  These are
>      both terrible solutions.

There already *is* a better set of hooks in MPlayer. Ever other MPlayer GUI
except for GMPlayer uses -slave mode. I use KPlayer, and although there's a
few rough edges it generally works very nicely.

Obviously -slave mode will need some improvement in future--at the very least
it needs to accept commands while paused--but I think it's a much better
architecture for integrating a GUI. It'd be nice if someone ported GMPlayer to
use -slave mode, but it doesn't look like anyone's got the motivation.

Adam

--
Adam Rice -- adamrice at ntlworld.com -- Blackburn, Lancashire, England