[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Windows GUI MPlayer name change

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Sun Jan 25 19:52:38 CET 2004

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 08:36:19PM +0100, Gabucino wrote:
> Curtis Magyar wrote:
> > Can MPlayer on Windows not use the dropline GTK library as Gaim, Gimp,
> > and others use?  I don't have Windows myself, so I can't test it, but I
> The GUI uses a lot of X calls.

After looking at the Gui/ code a lot, I'm wondering...
Why is there so much X11 in it?  What other libraries/apps had code
borrowed into MPlayer?

It leaves us with two options for improving the GUI in G1, IMHO:
  1) Fundamentally rewrite it, causing instability until we debug it a
     lot.  This sucks because nobody wants to break what already works
     in X11.
  2) Add another optional GUI with a better(more portable) design.  This
     sucks because we either a) have to add a second set of hooks into
     mplayer.c, which is a new nasty hack ontop of an old nasty hack, or
     b) we have to force the new GUI to use the old GUI hooks.  These are
     both terrible solutions.

My next windows package will be an attempt at #2b, and I'm really
unhappy with my code for that so far.  I have decided that there's no
hope for a good GUI in windows MPlayer until G2.

--Joey

--
All philosophy is naive.