[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer name change

Sascha Sommer saschasommer at freenet.de
Sun Jan 25 20:22:28 CET 2004

> I do, but it sucks.  I've tried to do a menu-based GUI in the same
> framework as the X11 GUI, and it's really not great.  I've managed to
> get it working without much patching to mplayer.c, but it is not a
> windows port of the old GUI.  It just uses the same hooks.  Sascha had a
> windows port of the X11 GUI, and it was buggy and IMHO not worth
> distribution.  My work is not going especially well, and I'd much rather
> wait for G2 and do it the right way.

No, my gui was/is rewritten from scratch using windows api calls etc., but
you are
right it is not worth the distribution. There are bugs everywhere. Most
of them are caused by the fact that the current mplayer doesn't allow to
integrate
guis very well. Moreover some of the api calls block the entire playback so
the gui
has to run in a seperate thread. I did this in a never published versio,
what made the
sources even more uglier. Maybe I will finish it when G2 is ready.
Nowadays I do not have much time for development and the gui is not
something I
find usefull myself.

Sascha