[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer name change

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Sun Jan 25 19:45:15 CET 2004

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 12:37:05AM +0100, Gabucino wrote:
> >  > > easily eclipse the Linux user base if some basic GUI is added.
> >  > We are still waiting for that...
> > Joey Parrish said he has something in the works.
> Does he? AFAIK Sascha Sommer has a somewhat complete GUI implementation for
> Win32.

I do, but it sucks.  I've tried to do a menu-based GUI in the same
framework as the X11 GUI, and it's really not great.  I've managed to
get it working without much patching to mplayer.c, but it is not a
windows port of the old GUI.  It just uses the same hooks.  Sascha had a
windows port of the X11 GUI, and it was buggy and IMHO not worth
distribution.  My work is not going especially well, and I'd much rather
wait for G2 and do it the right way.

I'm not comfortable releasing what I've written so far, but I will
probably try to come to a comprimise between usability/features and
hackishness and then publish it.  But after that point, I will give up
on the idea until G2.  I will only make bugfix releases until G2 video
pipeline API is settled.

--Joey

--
"Of the seven dwarves, the only one who shaved was Dopey.
That should tell us something about the wisdom of shaving."