[MPlayer-dev-eng] --enable-svga

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Tue Jan 20 03:03:38 CET 2004

* Gabucino <gabucino at mplayerhq.hu> [2004-01-02 00:30:23 +0100]:

> > You see that a user cannot know what --enable will do for a
> > particulat funtion unless he look in the script.
> ...so?

It makes it very hard for automatically doing consistent package
builds over future versions.

<snip>
> > Even more - if a function is changed from default disabled to default
> > auto-detected, then the script body should also be changed. And this could
> > adds bugs too;))
> Next time you'll be promoting automake as the only uniform and glorious
> way of MPlayer Development.

You know you're very near to defamation ?

<snip>
> > Can you point an example where (e.g. gentoo) build script will need to
> > force something?
> Have you actually seen the gentoo build script? I did. About 20 pieces
> of --enable options.

Does it also cope with new options properly ?
(i.e. how can it make sure that nothing is built in which isnt enabled
explictly ?)

<snip>

Wrong:
> Your offer:
>  - disable functionality
>  - autodetect functionality
>  - autodetect functionality with "force" (lol. nonsense.)
>  - force functionality (--really-enable-svga-please)

Right:
  - enable functionality, if possible (leave a note but do not abort)
  - enable functionality or abort if impossible
  - enable functionality, but dont trust in autodetection
  - tell me whats supported and whats possible on my current system

>    (BTW automake lacks this... you can't even force anything. broken shit)
aeh, why're comparing w/ automake ?
didnt we all agree that automake is shit long ago ?

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481