[MPlayer-dev-eng] --enable-svga

Diego Biurrun diego at akira.dyndns.org
Mon Jan 12 08:22:19 CET 2004

Ivan Kalvachev writes:
 > Diego Biurrun said:
 > > On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 06:30:47PM +0200, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
 > > I agree that --force is more intuitive than --enable and I would
 > >actually
 > > support such a change, but it is disruptive and backwards incompatible
 > > unless you add the same options twice.  Why not do it for G2 then?
 > >
 > > But --enable for autodetection is not intuitive either.  Besides having a
 >
 > I would suppose it is intuitive, as the rest of the world use it
 > in that meaning. People don't care how the script have been created,
 > they expect same things to work the same way ;)

Disagree.  Just because auto* uses --enable and is wide spread does
not make it intuitive.  Anyway, discussing intuitivity is somewhat
pointless, since it is about personal perception, obviously there is
some ambiguity, though. --force and --auto or --detect would be free
of ambiguity.

 > Well, there IS an inconsistency and a lot of confusion.
 > As you may have missed my point in the last thread I repeat it.
 > If the option is disabled by default, then --enable is enabling
 > auto-detection. I give xvmc as example, but there are others.

You have a point here.

 > You see that a user cannot know what --enable will do for a
 > particulat funtion unless he look in the script. Even more -
 > if a function is changed from default disabled to
 > default auto-detected, then the script body should also be changed.
 > And this could adds bugs too;))

Not quite.  If the autodetection code was not there before, it will
have to be added at the moment an option is switched to auto mode.
Bugs will be discovered when the code actually gets run on different
platforms and put through the stress tests.

 > > See above.  I think your approach was backwards incompatible, that is
 > > the
 > > main problem.
 >
 > Compatibility?
 > I have a script that makes local copy of mplayer runs configure with
 > default set of options and builds it. I usually set --enable on
 > experimental stuff.
 > Can you point an example where (e.g. gentoo) build script will need to
 > force something?

I don't have to force anything on my Debian system.  I just disable a
lot of stuff I do not use regularly to keep compilation times down and
--enable-internal-faad since it is time consuming on my slow notebook
and I know it works.  And yes, I also have a script for this.

Diego