[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: help on libmpdemux usage

Shan sweber at slingshot.co.nz
Tue Jan 20 02:58:37 CET 2004

Hi Romain Dolbeau on 01/19/2004 09:36:52 Zulu the following was relayed:

> Wrong. QuickTime is also required to display YUV image
> in an overlay, and that's exactly what every media
> player on macosx does, including mapleyr and vlc.

Yes you are correct QT does handle YUV overlays but not from the
developers point of view as QT is called via the CoreGraphics
WindowServer using Quartz functions under OSX.  In OS9 it is QuickDraw
functions that call QuickTime.  You will find that CoreGraphic and
QuickDraw includes are used in LibSDL and VLC, not QuickTime ones.

Developers only use QuickTime directly for multimedia use.  In mplayer
and VLC's case that is mainly for audio decoding thanks to the use of
the QDesign codec.

IMHO, QuickDraw is still the best 2D graphics engine I've seen in terms
of speed and functionality.  Shame, Apple didn't spend the time
necessary to port it over to OSX.

Shan