[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: help on libmpdemux usage

Chris Zubrzycki beren at mac.com
Mon Jan 19 01:15:04 CET 2004

On Jan 16, 2004, at 7:38 PM, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 01:02:53AM +0100, Tobias Diedrich wrote:
>> Billy Biggs wrote:
>>
>>>   The GPL itself was written before plug-ins became a standard part
>>> of
>>> software distribution, and before operating systems became the all-
>>> encompasing systems that we see today.  Merging these two concepts
>>> further complicates the problem, but we can try to decompose it.
>>
>> In this context I think the following part of the GPL FAQ is also very
>> interesting:
>>
>> |What constitutes combining two parts into one program? This is a
>> legal
>> |question, which ultimately judges will decide. We believe that a
>> proper
>> |criterion depends both on the mechanism of communication (exec,
>> pipes,
>> |rpc, function calls within a shared address space, etc.) and the
>> |semantics of the communication (what kinds of information are
>> |interchanged).
>> |
>> |If the modules are included in the same executable file, they are
>> |definitely combined in one program. If modules are designed to run
>> |linked together in a shared address space, that almost surely means
>> |combining them into one program.
>> |
>> |By contrast, pipes, sockets and command-line arguments are
>> communication
>> |mechanisms normally used between two separate programs. So when they
>> are
>> |used for communication, the modules normally are separate programs.
>> But
>> |if the semantics of the communication are intimate enough, exchanging
>> |complex internal data structures, that too could be a basis to
>> consider
>> |the two parts as combined into a larger program.
On OS X, mplayer links with the QuickTime library. How is that really
different then the QuickTime library linking with mplayer code? It's
not, they are both linked together in a common address space. I cannt
see how this is such a problem. If a + b = c, then b+a still equals c.

- -confused
- - --
PGP public key: http://homepage.mac.com/beren/publickey.txt
ID: 0xA2ABC070
Fingerprint: 26B0 BA6B A409 FA83 42B3  1688 FBF9 8232 A2AB C070
This message is encoded using the Rot-26 encoding method.  Unauthorized
decoding of this message may result in extreme penalties under the
DMCA.  These penalties include, but are not limited to: US$100,000
fine, life imprisonment, castration, death, limp hair, terminal
halitosis, and amputation of the extremities.