[MPlayer-dev-eng] HUP Award 2004 - favorite video player

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Dec 22 23:46:40 CET 2004

Reimar Döffinger writes:
> > > I don't really think MPlayer is an important project, but it is
> > > interesting.
> >
> > I strongly disagree here, multimedia is one of the main applications
> > of modern desktop computers.  If I look around, people use their home
> > computers more often to watch movies than for office applications.
>
> Well, being used doesn't make it something important in my view. And
> people very often do and like really unimportant things ;-)

Computers are not just used for work but for fun as well.  If you want
a free system then you want a complete free system, not just one that
allows you to work or is usable as a server.  Free software needs to
cater to all aspects of computer use.  The more used the more
important since it will allow more people to migrate.  So yes, a free
movie player is a vital part of such a system since computers are used
for movie playing a lot.

I'm the best example: I still needed Windows for fullscreen movie
viewing before I found MPlayer.  It was the last missing piece to make
my system complete.  I dumped Windows completely afterwards.

Diego