[MPlayer-dev-eng] HUP Award 2004 - favorite video player

Arpi arpi at mplayerhq.hu
Wed Dec 22 23:16:35 CET 2004

Hi,

> Reimar Döffinger writes:
> > E.g. I personally consider translations from english more often annoying than
> > useful (first thing I do on a system is setting LC_MESSAGES to POSIX) ;-)
>
> I generally prefer English original to translations in everything I

just like me.
about the other projects in this award, there were some translations, like
the mozilla translation project, i dont count on them much, i just mentioned
the openoffice one because its much more than just translation, its about
adding proper language support, including spell checkers, fonts whatever,
they patched a lot to support all part of evil hungarian typografy...

> read, but if you do not have (sufficient) English skills, translations
> are absolutely vital.
>
> > I don't really think MPlayer is an important project, but it is
> > interesting.

i didnt say it is not important, i said it is not really hungarian.
(compared to the other projects in this award, which are really hungarian
developments... and got less votes due to mplayer being there...)

> I strongly disagree here, multimedia is one of the main applications
> of modern desktop computers.  If I look around, people use their home
> computers more often to watch movies than for office applications.

but proper usable (original ooo isnt too usable for hungarians, doesnt even
support our accents well, o~ u~ instead of o" u" etc) office application is
required to bring linux to offices and government, and so get some more
users and sponsors for it...
ok i know you dont care, but it's vital for getting linux wide spread,
otherwise we will never see big applications ported, proper drivers,
oem computers offered with linux instead of windows etc.
also, government wont vote yes for sw patents if they are using linux :)

A'rpi / MPlayer, Astral & ESP-team

--
Girls are like internet domain names, the ones I like are already taken.