[MPlayer-dev-eng] HUP Award 2004 - favorite video player

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Dec 22 17:40:15 CET 2004

Hi,
> > After wins is the HUP Readers' Choice Award 2003 (Best Video Player),
> > MPlayer wins again....
> > ( http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/news.html#HUPAward2003 )
> >
> > Hungarian Unix Portal (http://www.hup.hu/) has finished voting for its
> > HUP Readers' Choice Award 2004. MPlayer has been voted Favorite Video
> > Player of the Year and Favorite hungarian (related) project of the Year.
>
> Btw, I don't think mplayer deserves teh best hungarian project prize,
> there are much more important (and much more hungarian!) projects for this,
> for example the openoffice translation including hungarian language tools
> (ispell etc), or some hungarian linux distros (UHU, etc).

If others are more important depends on what you consider important.
E.g. I personally consider translations from english more often annoying than
useful (first thing I do on a system is setting LC_MESSAGES to POSIX) ;-)
I don't really think MPlayer is an important project, but it is
interesting.
But I agree at least when looking at the developers it isn't very
hungarian (anymore). Not that I find that important and trying to give
projects like MPlayer a nationality seems quite stupid to me, but
well...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger

> Alex, Diego: what do you think?

Excuse me for answering without being asked ;-)