[MPlayer-dev-eng] HUP Award 2004 - favorite video player

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Dec 22 17:36:09 CET 2004

Arpi writes:

> > After wins is the HUP Readers' Choice Award 2003 (Best Video Player),
> > MPlayer wins again....
> > ( http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/news.html#HUPAward2003 )
> >
> > Hungarian Unix Portal (http://www.hup.hu/) has finished voting for its
> > HUP Readers' Choice Award 2004. MPlayer has been voted Favorite Video
> > Player of the Year and Favorite hungarian (related) project of the Year.
>
> Btw, I don't think mplayer deserves teh best hungarian project prize,
> there are much more important (and much more hungarian!) projects for this,
> for example the openoffice translation including hungarian language tools
> (ispell etc), or some hungarian linux distros (UHU, etc).

It's true, MPlayer nowadays is quite international, surely not as
Hungarian as it was in the beginning.  But still much of its code
comes from the original Hungarian authors, there are still Hungarian
mailing lists and it is probably the most famous software ever to come
out of .hu (to the best of my limited knowledge).

> Alex, Diego: what do you think?

I really cannot judge the importance of the other Hungarian projects.
But MPlayer has earned Hungary a prominent spot on the free software
world map, this is an achievement.  Then again, MPlayer has won so
many prizes already that it may be time to share the spot in the
limelight in order to give other projects their well-deserved
recognition and fame.

If you feel MPlayer should step back to the benefit of other projects
I won't stand in your way.  Let some of the other Hungarians decide.

Diego