[MPlayer-dev-eng] Question about MPlayer enhancement - maybe already done?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Dec 13 19:42:37 CET 2004

Hi,
> Thoughts up to now:
> - should be running in Linux i386 Framebuffer mode

I personally dislike framebuffer, but I guess you won't have speed
problems (in which case Matrox G200/G4x0/G550 would be best and the vidix
output is not bad either, xv would probably drag more dependencies than
you'd like).

> - possible approaches (from our point of view, any input welcome ;-):
>     - add dynamic (Logo, wheather forecast etc.) stuff as a menu(-like) layer

Sounds like you would be interested in the bmovl or bmovl2 filter
(bmovl2 is here:
http://projects.sault.org/mebox/downloads/patches/mplayer-bmovl2-2004-08-17.patch).
But from what I can see it does not yet support colour.

>     - add ability to multiplex static (aka. on local disk) video content with
> a stream containing the dynamic stuff on the fly at playtime.

Seems difficult to me, at least if you want to do more complex
multiplexing (not e.g. some window ontop of another one). Most feasible
approach seems to me something like the bmovl filter, just for video.
I don't think you can use one MPlayer instance to decode two videos, but
you could pipe the uncompressed video in. -vo yuv4mpeg can create such
an uncompressed stream
(see http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/attachments/20041203/1d8a7a4b/mplmult.sh for an example of how it can be used, quite unrelated to your problem though ;-) )

>     - add a special output device that adds the dynamic contents to the static
> ones

What do you mean by an "output device"? I guess not something physical?
If you think of a vo_ module I don't think that's a clean and extendable
way to do it...

> - is it possible to add input filters for images (PNG, JPEG, ...), since Pro
> AdCast offers these formats?

Depends on what you want to do, but there is already the mf:// syntax
(e.g. mplayer mf://*.png -mf type=png:fps=5)

> - generation of dynamic stuff possible "on the fly" (glueing Logo image, some
> frame/icon images and (scrolling) text together on the client)  possible?

If you create some "mixing" filter it should just be a matter of adding
multiple instances of them...

> - GUI for creation of "frames" -> will probably be done by Pro Open

no idea what you mean with "creation of frames" :-(

> - how long would it take to implement this?

I better leave that to somebody who did programming for something except
a hobby. But I can say it sure depends on the amount of flexibility you
need and how much computing power you can waste.

> - has it maybe even been already done and we just didn't find it?

Probably ;-). No, seriously, it's likely that somebody did
something similar, but probably nothing you can use without doing
adjustments...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger