[MPlayer-dev-eng] printf -> mp_msg conversion (etc.), first patches

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Aug 30 20:46:46 CEST 2004

Diego Biurrun wrote:

> Attila Kinali writes:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 09:02:22PM +0200, Torinthiel wrote:
>>
>>> IIRC (correct me if I'm wrong) if you change message so that it
>>> changes %* tags you should delete them from translations. Or (as
>>> you did, which is possible with smaller changes) change it right
>>> away of course - I prefer the latter as it's less work for
>>> translators and I'm one ;)
>>>
>>> Anyway the point is, that if you leave these strings than until
>>> translation is synced using it is dangerous (consider changing
>>> from %s to %i, and printf getting int but reading it, because of
>>> old transation as string).
>>
>> Right, this should go into the docs, aka patches.txt
>
> How about:
>
> 13. Do not use printf for console output, use our own mp_msg functions instead.
>     For the output to be translated (and all messages below level MSGL_HINT
>     should be translated), put the strings in help/help_mp-en.h. If you change
>     strings, remove the occurrences of this string from the translations, there
>     may be trouble if it remains in place and translators will pick it up more
>     easily this way.

Leaving aside a few pause-related nitpicks, this seems to me to say that
messages of MSGL_HINT should not be translated; is that true? If not,
I'd suggest something like "messages of MSGL_HINT and below".

Also, pluralization of "strings" vs. "string" - and even though I know
the issue which led to this, I'm having a hard time getting to it from
the description above, although I can see it in there after a bit of
work; I'll try to come back to this when I'm more awake and see if I can
suggest anything better.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.