[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [Alsa-devel] Problem with RME 9632 and Plug

Zsolt Barat barat at medien.uni-weimar.de
Wed Aug 4 19:53:28 CEST 2004

Ed Wildgoose wrote:

> Zsolt Barat wrote:
>
>> Ed Wildgoose wrote:
>>
>>> Basically, I set 1024 as the period size first (since this seems a
>>> reasonable size), then set periods to be "near" 16, however, the
>>> driver tells me that I can only have 2.  But at this point I can't
>>>
>>> Actually just to be clear and avoid confusion, if I try on the
>>> RME9632 to set period size to be "near" 8192 right at the start then
>>> I just get 2048.  Very peculiar.
>>>

>> just in case you didn't noticed you already can set different setups
>> for some periods (frags) and periodsizes. it would be triggered by
>> the -abs option in mplayer. it isn't documented i know.
>>

> Hi, yes, I looked through that code, and in fact I think it has a bug
> in it, that I forgot in my latest patch.  The previous if statement
> should say:
>
>    if (ao_data.buffersize > 0) {
>
> Because at least on my machine if I don't choose "-abs", then the
> default value of ao_data.buffersize appears to be "-1" which then
> triggers the default clause and changes the default from that at the
> top of the code

yes seems to be really a bug. hm..
i just thought that you add your changes to one of the abs cases, as a
special case for your rme-card, cause current defaults seems to work
well for the most of cards.
i don't think that a heuristic aproach to figure out periods and
period-size would be the best thing, when we do it it should be pretty
fast or another alternative. setting the buffersize very large doesn't
seem to hurt the other way around it does.
i didn't tried your patch till yet, im curios if your delay settings
work for me, i doubt it and guess thats the reason for your seeking
problems. at least i have no glue why the delay settings are on the
current values. i think thats the best 'experimental' defaults for oss,
cause oss was at first the only, and later the most used ao.
but does audio work for you now with changed settings, apart from the
seeking problem?

regards

Zsolt