[MPlayer-dev-eng] [BUG?] Tivo mpeg errors

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Mon Aug 2 18:56:53 CEST 2004

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 07:03:19PM -0500, Joey Parrish wrote:
> I've got some strange issues with a tivo stream I just ripped.  Both
> libmpeg2 and ffmpeg barf with error messages about motion vectors.  I'm
> stuck at work and so I can't send a log or sample (yet) but I will send
> both later tonight.  The messages (from ffmpeg) are things like "MPEG
> motion vector out of boundary" and "00 motion_type at x y" and "Warning
> MVs not available".

I've had a breakthrough.  It turns out that if you extract streams using
mfs_ftp, you get junk every 512Mb in the stream.  (Don't know why,
something to do with how it's stored on tivo's harddrive.)  If you
extract using a program called vstream, then the junk is removed for
you.  In finding all this info, I also found the tivo-mplayer project.
They've patched MPlayer to read streams from vstream.  I've updated the
patch for current CVS and will post it now in a new thread.

--Joey

--
"I can read it better than you can read it with your eyes closed." --Gu