[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: mobbing @mplayer-lists !

Greg Stark gsstark at mit.edu
Wed Apr 21 20:48:22 CEST 2004

Enrico Weigelt <weigelt at metux.de> writes:

> The background was, that he disliked my signature - which was too long
> for him - and so he wrote me a mail where he threatened to kick me off
> the mplayer-lists immediately if I post any single mail with this
> signature. He defamed my signature - which just contained my contact
> information - as "spam" and demanded me to cut it down.

Refer to RFC 1855 Section 2.1.1:

    - If you include a signature keep it short.  Rule of thumb
      is no longer than 4 lines.  Remember that many people pay for
      connectivity by the minute, and the longer your message is,
      the more they pay.

Also, note in the same section:

    - In general, most people who use the Internet don't have time
      to answer general questions about the Internet and its workings.
      Don't send unsolicited mail asking for information to people
      whose names you might have seen in RFCs or on mailing lists.

and

    - Don't send large amounts of unsolicited information to people.

--
greg