[MPlayer-dev-eng] Dynamic filters

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Tue Apr 20 00:09:41 CEST 2004

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 04:28:53PM -0400, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> I'm working on a project that uses mplayer in slave mode and I require
> the ability to manipulate the filter chain dynamically.  Near as I can
> tell, this isn't currently possible with MPlayer, so I'm looking at
> coding this functionality myself.

I am not a filter expert at all.
IIUC, MPlayer can't add new filters while a video is playing.
I believe this is a deep architecture issue.

Has anyone considered (for any given project) modifying the filters that
you need such that their parameters can be changed after the movie
begins?  Or is this already possible?

My idea is that you could insert filters at start, but then turn them
on and off, giving the effect of dynamic insertion.  (At speed cost.)

Now, I'd never actually try to write any of this... just an idea.

Good luck,
--Joey

--
"Of the seven dwarves, the only one who shaved was Dopey.
That should tell us something about the wisdom of shaving."