[MPlayer-dev-eng] Dynamic filters

Jason Tackaberry tack at sault.org
Mon Apr 19 22:28:53 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I'm working on a project that uses mplayer in slave mode and I require
the ability to manipulate the filter chain dynamically.  Near as I can
tell, this isn't currently possible with MPlayer, so I'm looking at
coding this functionality myself.

Obviously the ability to insert/remove filters in the chain is a basic
minimum, so that means assigning slave commands to -vf-add, -vf-pre, and
-vf-del.  Though it may not be that simple at all.  Not knowing
Mplayer's filter architecture, it might not even be possible to do this
once the video has begun playing.

I'd also need the ability to modify filter arguments (which looks
extremely non-trivial since I think it would mean modifying each filter
to support this).  A perhaps better (and simpler) solution may be to
atomize slave commands so that I can remove a filter and then re-add it
with new arguments and guarantee that this happens between frames.

Since I really don't know what I'm getting myself into, I thought I'd
ask the developers for insight or comments first.  Any advice or
warnings?

Thanks,
Jason.