[MPlayer-dev-eng] LinuxTAG 2004: Linux Video Booth

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Sun Apr 18 21:12:21 CEST 2004

Am Sonntag, 18. April 2004 20:25 schrieb Diego Biurrun:
> Hi,
>
> Diego Biurrun and myself from MPlayer are thinking about organizing
> this year a big common booth among video related open source projects.

Sounds very nice.
Especially as last year - like you might have seen there was a big linux audio
booth.

> The biggest projects should come and cooperate: FFmpeg, MPlayer, xine,
> VideoLAN, Matroska and maybe others I forgot..

Yes. Sounds great.

> I've just asked the Linuxtag organizers about having such a booth, but
> at least the xine team knows the way to do it as they had a booth last
> year.

Should be no problem, if you run into some, I also know some of the organizers
personally and will join the LinuxTag e.V. soon. (As soon as I get to a
printer, print it out and send it by snail mail that is.)

> What do you think about the idea?

Great, great, great.

FYI: Debian (think about it what you want, its just an example) is using the
LinuxTag since years for coordination of projects and so on :-)

Perhaps we could even get developers that have something to say to finally
_get_ mplayer into Debian. But thats another story ...

> Here you can get some info about Linuxtag:
>
> http://www.linuxtag.org
>
> It will be held on the 23-26 of june in Karlsruhe, Germany.

Btw. thats where I live now, so I'll be there. :-)

> Alex and I are planning to stay the whole 4 days, it's possible to
> sleep there in a hall with a sleeping bag if you do not have
> accomodation.

I did this last year, it was a very nice community feeling. People hacking in
the rooms upstairs and outside on their notbooks. Be sure to bring with you
some wireless-lan cards as wireless lan connectivity is quiete good in
Karlsruhe. But inside is also net-access through normal ethernet switches.

> It would be very nice if we could manage to organize some sort of
> conference there, so we can meet and talk.  For discussing large-scale
> issues there is nothing like face to face communication.

There are some rooms, for example used by "debian workshops" on "Debian day",
but you should tell the organization teams asap that you need that (just 2
month left).

At least last year there was some space left behind the booths wre one could
add a table and some chairs and talk.

> Sascha said he will try to come on IRC, who else is interested in
> coming?

Me as I said above. There must be som reason, why I read the Dev-Eng and
CVS-Log lists day by day ;-).

cu

Fabian