[MPlayer-dev-eng] proposal of a dvdnav layer

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Apr 10 23:21:12 CEST 2004

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 08:37:31PM +0200, Reza Jelveh wrote:
> hi,
> im rethinking a possibility of adding dvdnav support to mplayer.
> i checked earlier mails on the mailing list from arpi and saw this:
>
> i disagree. the main problems of dvdnav vs. mplayer:
> - cache
> - no mouse input handled

Mouse is irrelevant. You can control menus with keyboard/buttons just
like a hardware player.

> - no still images support -> non-animated menus wont work
> - no subpicture highliting support -> you can't see selection in menu
> - no runtime track switching (audio, sub, etc) possible
>

> currently ignoring caching and the mouse input issues i had in mind
> for subpicture highlighting and still images that a layer would be
> introduced to *mux* all that info together and then pass it to the
> demuxing layer. also for the demuxing layer it would have to allow
> multiple video demuxers to run at once(i dont know does it allow
> that yet?). of course vo would then have to get *priorities* for the
> image and then let a layer before vo overlay the images it gets from
> the decoder.

Huh?? Why do you need some hack to mux all this together? And why a
new layer before vo?? We already have filters for that explicit
purpose.

> as for the runtime track switching. i think it would be enough if
> mplayer allowed the suspend or stopping of the demuxing,
> codecs/filters and then seek to the appropriate chapter(chapter
> would always guarantee correct loading!).

This is not acceptable. Many discs don't even have chapters, and users
would complain incessantly. If you can't support stream switching
correctly, the best solution is to IGNORE stream switch in the dvd nav
stuff.

> note im not complaining or anything. im only thinking of an
> efficient way to adding that support to mplayer. if you have any
> suggestions or anything else please let me know

No, it's a very hackish and broken way. MPlayer already has enough
hacks. If you want to add dvdnav, fix all the things in both MPlayer
and libdvdnav needed to make it possible...

Rich