[MPlayer-dev-eng] Dynamic adjustment of playback rate

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Sun Sep 28 13:13:13 CEST 2003

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 02:59:27 -0700 (PDT)
Fabienne S <fabiennez at yahoo.com> wrote:

>       First I'm a big mplayer fan, and have installed
> it both on my powerbook and on my debian box.  On my
> linux computer I have mplayer running for dvd playback
> and through a maudio delta 410 audio interface.  I've
> been searching through your archives a bit but haven't
> seen anyone asking about recoding your -speed feature
> to be used while the movie is already playing.  I'm
> interested in doing some mplayer development this
> month to allow for speeding up and slowing down while
> the movie is playing. I'm doing a master's thesis on
> dj-ing in more than stereo.  Does anyone know of
> anyone already working on using the -speed feature in
> real time?

The main prob here will be to keep A/V in sync.
AFAIK a few ppl tried something like this before,
but i havent seen any real code.

> How extensive would the changes be to
> dynamically adjust the playback rate of codecs
> according to keyboard messages?

No idea

> Is mplayer's existing
> architecture going to be able to support reverse
> playback?

AFAIK not, but i'd say the biggest problem would be
mplayer itself but the way how video data is storred
(ie P frames depending on previous I frames)

			Attila Kinali

--
Chu beyond the blackest chu, Deeper then the deepest pika, King of pikachu who
shines like gold on the sea of electric. I call upon thee, swear myself to thee,