[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: vd_libmpeg2: change in video parameters causes mencoder to core-dump

Peter Niemayer niemayer at isg.de
Mon Sep 15 18:17:16 CEST 2003

Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> reiniting the encoder is problematic, for example it will break 2pass rc, and
> changing aspect / resolution / whatever in the middle of a video will
> probably break many players and is probably not allowed in many video
> standards, furthermore for formats which use a global header to store the
> res/aspect, or which dont encode the aspect / res at all in the video stream
> it simply wont work [...]

So it seems reasonable to just avoid any kind of re-initialization when
encoding.

Is there some global variable or alike that would allow one to detect
whether vd_libmpeg2.c code is running for mplayer or mencoder?

If so, I'd just propose a patch that disables re-inits for mencoder.

Cheers,

Peter Niemayer