[MPlayer-dev-eng] vd_libmpeg2: change in video parameters causes mencoder to core-dump

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Mon Sep 15 17:29:55 CEST 2003

Hi

On Monday 15 September 2003 16:42, Peter Niemayer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just noticed that unlike mencoder 0.9, which silently ignored
> changes of video parameters in mpeg-2 streams, mencoder 1.00pre1
> will core dump.
>
> In libmpcodecs/vd_libmpeg2.c there is a piece of code like this...
>
>          case STATE_SEQUENCE:
>             // video parameters inited/changed, (re)init libvo:
>             if(!mpcodecs_config_vo(sh,
>                 info->sequence->width,
>                 info->sequence->height, IMGFMT_YV12)) return 0;
>             break;
>
> ... that might be helpful to change aspect-ratios and alike during
> replays with mplayer, but which causes mencoder to dump core if
> it encounters such an event (at least when -ovc lavc is chosen).
>
> It would be nice if either the encoder would be able to handle the
> reconfig request or - much simpler - if a re-init would just be
> avoided when the code is for mencoder, not mplayer.
reiniting the encoder is problematic, for example it will break 2pass rc, and
changing aspect / resolution / whatever in the middle of a video will
probably break many players and is probably not allowed in many video
standards, furthermore for formats which use a global header to store the
res/aspect, or which dont encode the aspect / res at all in the video stream
it simply wont work, so this would probably only work for MPEG-1/2, for
MPEG-4 we would need 2 different video streams which get played sequencially
as its not allowed to change stuff midway IIRC

[...]
--
Michael
level[i]= get_vlc(); i+=get_vlc();		(violates patent EP0266049)