[MPlayer-dev-eng] Xan codec (Xxan) support

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Wed Sep 3 17:28:06 CEST 2003

Hello, list.

I stumbled upon the old Wing Commander 4 game and noticed that their
movies1.tre files are actually AVIs with some garbage at the beginning
(-sb 4096 helps here). But, they are encoded with some strange codec,
FourCC: Xxan. I've located the codec dll (xanlib.dll) but I can't get
it working. So I've uploaded the codec dll and a 5MB chunk of a sample
file (without the initial garbage) into /MPlayer/incoming/Xxan at
MPHQ. Sound in this file is detected by MPlayer as uncompressed PCM
audio 22kHz/16bit/stereo, but sounds obviously wrong when played with
-vc null.

There's some Windows software which can play these files, too:
http://www.wcrevival.de/hcl/movie_player.html
It uses the xanlib.dll and SDL.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://www.piorunek.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/