[MPlayer-dev-eng] bsd vs. linux - encoding benchmarking

Steven M. Schultz sms at 2BSD.COM
Sun Oct 19 19:15:40 CEST 2003

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, Arpi wrote:

> http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/2003/10/Features110.html

	Ah, so the editor did publish the article - I know I reviewed it
	but I did not bother to read the final product ;)

> our old bsd friend, Steven M. Schultz made a benchmark testing on varions

	Thanks!

> the only thing i don't understand: how can it be so much faster on linux,

	That is a mystery that no one has been able to explain yet.   In
	the one test where I used mpeg2enc (to encode to a DVD MPEG-2
	file) the difference is easily explained by the fact the mpeg2
	encoder is threaded and can use multiple cpus (the bsd systems
	have threads but they are within a single process only and do no
	use additional cpus).

> my guess is that some optimization was disabled on *bsd, maybe SSE and such.

	FreeBSD 5.1 has SSE support and it was one of the slowest systems
	tested.    BSD/OS does not have SSE/SSE2 support but came in 2nd
	place after linux.

> also, the above article doesnt include the actual command lines used for
> transcoding, so its not clear if ffdv or qdv or libdv was used for actual
> decoding.

	I was not sure of the target audience for the article so I did
	not include the commands.   The encoded used ffdv (-lavcopts  ...)
	and encoded from the NTSC DV (720x480) to SIF (320x240) [7m12s
	or 12962 frames].

	'mp4creator' program from mpeg4ip was used to put the AAC audio
	and mpeg-4 stream into a mp4 container so my Powerbook using
	Apple's Quicktime player could play it (works very nicely).

	It was a 2 pass encoding - I'll attach the script used.  Yes, I
	know the audio didn't need to be encoded the additional times
	but I didn't see that before starting the tests.   Interestingly
	enough the average bitrate came out to be less than 600kbs for
	the video.

	Cheers,
	Steven Schultz