[MPlayer-dev-eng] bsd vs. linux - encoding benchmarking

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Oct 19 19:25:06 CEST 2003

Hi,

> > my guess is that some optimization was disabled on *bsd, maybe SSE and such.
>
> 	FreeBSD 5.1 has SSE support and it was one of the slowest systems
> 	tested.    BSD/OS does not have SSE/SSE2 support but came in 2nd
> 	place after linux.

hmm. so only freebsd and linux had sse optims?

> > also, the above article doesnt include the actual command lines used for
> > transcoding, so its not clear if ffdv or qdv or libdv was used for actual
> > decoding.
>
> 	I was not sure of the target audience for the article so I did
> 	not include the commands.   The encoded used ffdv (-lavcopts  ...)

i meant the _de_coder, in your commandlines i cant see -vc option,
so mencoder uses teh default DV decoder, its qdv (win32 dll) unless
you changed config.conf. its also a lot faster than ffdv, at least
on linux.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--
Developer of MPlayer G2, the Movie Framework for all - http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu