[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: -of mpeg

Andriy N. Gritsenko andrej at lucky.net
Tue Oct 14 11:29:21 CEST 2003

    Hi, Diego Biurrun!

Sometime (on Monday, October 13 at 18:24) I've received something...
>Andriy N. Gritsenko writes:
> > Sometime (on Thursday, September 25 at 12:42) I've received something...
> > >Just a quickie...
> > >
> > >Can someone explain why when I do:
> > >
> > >mencoder -of mpeg -ovc copy -oac copy input.mpg -o output.mpg
> > >
> > >where input.mpg is MPEG2 video/audio at SVCD spec, does it state:
> > >
> > >"Writing AVI header..."
> > >"Writing AVI index..."
> > >and:
> > >"Fixing AVI header..."
> > >
> > >Surely if i'm wanting an MPEG output, (-of mpeg), it should get an MPEG
> > >header?
> >
> >     It comes from help_mp-*.h so I cannot do anything with it.

>Sure you can.  It does not come from help_mp-*.h, that is just the
>translation.  The message comes from mencoder.c, just grep for
>AVIHeader and AVIIndex.  This should be generalized a bit more now
>that MEncoder can mux to more than just AVI.  Could you send a patch
>for this?

Do you mean in mencoder.c:

printf(MSGTR_WritingAVIHeader);

But that define MSGTR_WritingAVIHeader comes from help_mp-*.h so if I
make a patch for English, Ukrainian and Russian ones then anyway all
other translators have to translate new messages.

Ok, let's discuss what we want for replace. Will that below be ok?

#define MSGTR_WritingAVIHeader "Writing output file header...\n"
#define MSGTR_WritingAVIIndex "\nWriting output file footer...\n"
#define MSGTR_FixupAVIHeader "Fixing output file header...\n"

> > -//    printf ("Added video stream %d\n", muxer->num_videos);
> > +    mp_msg (MSGT_MENCODER, MSGL_DBG2, "Added video stream %d, ckid=%X\n", muxer->num_videos, s->ckid);

>Shouldn't the messages from mp_msg calls be put into help/help_mp-en.h
>so they can be translated?

I think debug messages don't need to be translated. :)

    With best wishes.
    Andriy.