[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: -of mpeg

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Tue Oct 14 16:02:15 CEST 2003

Andriy N. Gritsenko writes:
 > Sometime (on Monday, October 13 at 18:24) I've received something...
 > >Sure you can.  It does not come from help_mp-*.h, that is just the
 > >translation.  The message comes from mencoder.c, just grep for
 > >AVIHeader and AVIIndex.  This should be generalized a bit more now
 > >that MEncoder can mux to more than just AVI.  Could you send a patch
 > >for this?
 >
 > Do you mean in mencoder.c:
 >
 > printf(MSGTR_WritingAVIHeader);
 >
 > But that define MSGTR_WritingAVIHeader comes from help_mp-*.h so if I
 > make a patch for English, Ukrainian and Russian ones then anyway all
 > other translators have to translate new messages.

Yes, all other translators will have to make some changes, but that is
not a problem.  You only need to patch help_mp-en.h, but patches for
translations are welcome, of course.

 > Ok, let's discuss what we want for replace. Will that below be ok?
 >
 > #define MSGTR_WritingAVIHeader "Writing output file header...\n"
 > #define MSGTR_WritingAVIIndex "\nWriting output file footer...\n"
 > #define MSGTR_FixupAVIHeader "Fixing output file header...\n"

Umm, no, the message should be renamed and the obsolete one removed
from all help_mp-*.h files.

I would suggest something like

#define MSGTR_WritingFileHeader "Writing output file header...\n"
#define MSGTR_WritingFileIndex "\nWriting output file footer...\n"
#define MSGTR_FixupFileHeader "Fixing output file header...\n"

or

#define MSGTR_WritingAVIHeader "Writing AVI header...\n"
#define MSGTR_WritingMPEGHeader "Writing MPEG header...\n"

etc

This scheme would have to be updated each time we support a new
format, though, so the above should be OK.

 > > > -//    printf ("Added video stream %d\n", muxer->num_videos);
 > > > +    mp_msg (MSGT_MENCODER, MSGL_DBG2, "Added video stream %d, ckid=%X\n", muxer->num_videos, s->ckid);
 >
 > >Shouldn't the messages from mp_msg calls be put into help/help_mp-en.h
 > >so they can be translated?
 >
 > I think debug messages don't need to be translated. :)

Yes, Albeu already said so, I guess you are right.

Diego