[MPlayer-dev-eng] Matroska compile broken from yesterday

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Nov 17 01:48:50 CET 2003

Moritz Bunkus wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> I'm not sure I'm reading the source right, but it looks to me like
>> as things stand this will be enabled and compiled in if Matroska is
>> detected, whether or not FLAC is present (i.e., I see #ifdefs for
>> Matroska but none for FLAC in demux_mkv.cpp). Won't that break
>> something, if FLAC is not in fact installed? Or am I just being
>> programmatically n00bish?
>
> demux_mkv.cpp does not use libFLAC (or the included libmpflac) at
> all. It just passes the formattag on to mplayer. If mplayer itself is
> not compiled with FLAC support then it ( = mplayer) will just tell
> you that it couldn't find a codec for the requested id, and that's
> all. It's not the demuxer's job to know which codec mplayer supports.
> It would be something different if it actually used functions from
> libFLAC. But it doesn't.

Right - my "or" was the correct answer, then; I wasn't reading the
sources right. <grin> I figured that this was either a bug that should
be mentioned or a consequence of a design issue I wasn't grasping; it
turns out to have been a consequence of a design issue I just hadn't
thought all the way through. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

--
       The Wanderer