[MPlayer-dev-eng] SUB/OSD rendering

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Wed Nov 12 12:25:45 CET 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:16:15 +0100
Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > 2) The whole OSD/SUB system in G1 is (IMHO) a bit messy
> > and not clearly structured.
>
> Correct. Subtitles are not even a stream, and that's why each demuxer
> has to handle subs on its own at the moment (demux_ogg.c, demux_mkv.cpp,
> mplayer's own subtitle code...) and then sets the text to be
> displayed. This alone would require a lot of changes.

That's what i want to change. A demuxer should only say
"hey, i found a sub stream, let's pass it to the filter".
Ie look whether a sub render filter is already there,
if not load one, give some hints about the sub type if possible,
then pass the whole stream to it.

> > 5) I'd rather like to do that in G2 but its vf layer
> > isn't finished yet. (Beside Michaels remark about
> > MPI that it sucks, but i dunno whether it's valid
> > for G2 too)
>
> G2 would be the way to go, IMHO. Maybe throwing some more support (in
> terms of man power) behind it will get G2's vf layer finished sooner ;)

I'd like to do that, but as i said, i dont know much about
how filters should be done and what problems they have
(i dont even understand half of the code :(

Beside i'm already busy with the x11 changes
(Arpi: no, i dont think that a complete rewrite is necessary)

			Attila Kinali

--
egp ist vergleichbar mit einem ikea bausatz fuer flugzeugtraeger
			-- reeler in +kaosu