[MPlayer-dev-eng] configure vs. configure

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Nov 11 03:50:06 CET 2003

Ivan Kalvachev wrote:

> Attila Kinali said:
>
>>On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:18:40 +0100
>>Torinthiel <torinthiel at wp.pl> wrote:

>>> otherwise there wouldn't be 2 different options. And, maybe
>>> because of the fact that I know something about programming (no,
>>> not about MPlayer internals but general), I prefer having an
>>> option of forcing configure to include it (not that I had to).
>>> And by forcing configure to autodetect every time I deny myself
>>> this  option.
>>
>> This is how it works currently:
>>
>> Everything that can be autodetected, will be autodetected (that's
>> about 99%)
>>
>> If you use --enable-XXX you you know what you are doing and force
>> the option on, thus disabling autodetection.
>
> This is excacly the problem. This is enable option, not force.

An important distinction - it points up the way in which the two sides
of this argument interpret the meaning of "enable" differently.

> If the option is disabled by default (e.g. xvmc is still beta) When i
> --enable-option, i actually skip the detection. In this case the
> detection should always make check (for yes and for auto).
>
> If the option is enabled by default, then --enable-option is used as
> yes (force).
>
> This meen that detection behavior is dependent if option is enabled
> by default or no.
>
> This inconsistensy is very missleading and should be targeted.

I do not find it misleading: if you say "enable it", it will be built
in; no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Likewise, if you say "disable it",
it will be excluded - no ambiguity whatsoever.

If I told it "enable such-and-such" and it said "I can't find this, I
won't build it in", I would be quite annoyed; such behaviour is to me
counterintuitive (and that ease-of-use issue is at base what this
argument is about). If I say enable, I mean enable, not decide whether
or not to enable.

You seem to interpret "enable" as "turn on if possible", whereas others
involved (including myself) seem to interpret it as "turn it on". As in
so many cases, part of the problem in this argument is differing
understandings of the language.

--
       The Wanderer, not feeling like he's contributed much